Approx. 40 km south of the city of Salzburg, Hohenwerfen Castle towers above the Salzach Valley as a strategic bulwark built atop of a 155 meter high rock. The castle is majestically surrounded by the mighty Tennengau and Hagen mountain ranges. The fortification is a "sister" of Hohensalzburg Fortress and also dates back to the 11th century. The Salzburg district administration took possession of the castle in 1938. It was used as a training camp by the Austrian rural police until 1987. It was enlarged and renovated several times over the centuries. Hohenwerfen served as a prison for many centuries. Rulers such as Archbishop Adalbert III (1198), Graf Albert von Friesach (1253), the Styrian governor Siegmund (1525) and Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau (1611) were held captive here. Today the castle is used as an "Adventure Castle" featuring a variety of events such as concerts, theater performances and folklore evenings as well as castle celebrations. The historic Falconry Center is a special attraction, offering daily flight demonstrations by various birds of prey.